In the ongoing excavations in the ancient city of Perre, located in the southeastern province of Adıyaman, archaeologists found a 1500-year-old bakery structure on Monday.
Started in 2001, the excavations have been carried out at intervals in the ancient city of Perre. A historical Roman fountain, large block stones, water channels and various architectural structures were unearthed in this year’s work. The latest discoveries by the archaeologists in the ancient city are wine workshop areas and a bakery structure created to meet the needs of the people of that period, along with nails belonging to the structure.
Mehmet Alkan, the head of the museum, told Anadolu Agency (AA) that the wine workshop areas and bakery were discovered near the necropolis of the city. Noting that they found hundreds of nails in the bakery structure, Alkan continued: “These nails were used both to connect the door and as decoration.”
A tandoor was also unearthed in the northeastern part of the bakery structure.
Perre was one of the biggest cities of the Kingdom of Commagene. It was an important city in terms of religious and geopolitical aspects. The beauty of the city’s water was mentioned in ancient Roman sources.
The ancient city lost its importance after the Byzantine Period and never regained its former glory. The rock tombs, the main attractions of Perre, were carved into the rocks and have a wonderful appearance. Also, the large mosaics found in the city bear fascinating heart motifs, three-dimensional globe figures and octagonal geometric modules that arouse interest.
The Daily Sabah Newsletter
Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.
- Impromptu Stephen Sondheim Wakes Fill Piano Bars With Tears and Tunes
- Freedomroo – Joey Essex and Liberty Poole put on a very friendly display at Skinny Tan bash
- Burnley boss Sean Dyche threatens to fine his players if they don’t bring cakes for teammates
- Newsco – Irina Shayk steps out for Thanksgiving dinner at ex Bradley Cooper’s place in New York
- Stephen Sondheim attended Company Broadway on November 15 days before he died
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on