The Iraqi central government and Iraqi Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) announced Tuesday that the Sinjar deal, inked between Baghdad and Irbil in October under the auspices of U.N., has been put into practice.
KRG Interior Minister Rebivar Ahmed, Iraqi National Security Advisor Qasim al-Araji and U.N. Special Representative for Iraq Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert held a meeting to discuss the deal which will end the PKK terror group’s presence in the Sinjar district of the northern Nineveh province.
Ahmed told a news conference that the two sides will soon prepare a roadmap for the reconstruction and security of the district as well as the implementation of the articles within the deal.
We will not allow any non-Iraqi power to remain in Sinjar, Araji said, referring to the PKK terror group.
“Iraqi security forces will be the only force to remain in Sinjar and the region,” he said.
The Iraqi Prime Ministry announced a “historic deal” with the KRG last month to bolster the federal government’s authority in Sinjar under the constitution in terms of governance and security.
Ahmed Mulla Talal, the spokesperson for the prime minister, said the agreement would end the authority of intruding groups in Sinjar, referring to the PKK.
The PKK terror group managed to establish a foothold in Sinjar in 2014 under the pretext of protecting the local Yazidi community from the Daesh terror group.
Some 450,000 Yazidis escaped Sinjar after Daesh took control of the region.
In its more than 40-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK – listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU – has been responsible for the deaths of nearly 40,000 people, including women, children and infants.
- Freedomroo – America's War in Afghanistan: How It Started and How It Is Ending
- Covid England: Cases fall in EVERY age group as daily death rate drops to 18
- Barca continues to support European Super League despite backlash
- NASA shares photos of Lunar Gateway space station to launch for moon in 2024
- Freedomroo – Bay City Rollers singer Les McKeown dies suddenly aged 65 as devastated friends pay tribute
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on