Australia has already proven its affection for France through the sacrifice of Aussie soldiers during World War I and II, the country’s deputy prime minister claimed Monday, stoking a row over a major submarine contract.
Following French fury at Canberra’s decision to abruptly cancel a multi-billion dollar submarine contract negotiated over years, Barnaby Joyce weighed in.
“Australia doesn’t need to prove their affinity and their affection and their resolute desire to look after the liberty and the freedom and the equality of France,” said Joyce, who is currently acting prime minister while Scott Morrison visits Washington.
“We have tens of thousands of Australians who have either died on French soil or died protecting French soil from the countries that surround them, in both the First World War and the Second World War.”
His reference to difficult periods in France’s history around a century ago is unlikely to soothe French anger.
Paris has repeatedly lashed out at Australia and the United States after Canberra last week backed out of a major deal to buy 12 conventional French submarines, instead choosing to acquire American nuclear-powered vessels after secret talks.
French President Emmanuel Macron has recalled France’s ambassadors to Canberra and Washington, while French officials have accused the nations of lying over a linked defense alliance that also includes Britain.
Canberra has stressed the importance of ties with France but defended the decision as in Australia’s national interest, which comes as the nation looks to counter the rising influence of China in the Asia-Pacific region.
- GoBookMe.com.au – Bella Hadid calls herself a ‘full time auntie’ as she gushes over sister Gigi’s daughter Khai
- ZEXYR.COM – Adam Peaty’s girlfriend speaks out on ’emotional’ aftermath following his Strictly ‘kiss’
- CHILDREN’S HALLOWEEN | Daily Mail Online
- GoBookMe.com.au – Investigators probing Rust shooting are ‘not exactly sure’ of Alec Baldwin’s ‘whereabouts’
- Chelsea lining up move for Lorenzo Insigne as Italy forward nears end of contract with Napoli
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on