The woman who accused Attorney-General Christian Porter of sexual assault – which he vehemently denies – met police five times before telling investigators she didn’t want to push forward with her complaint for health reasons.
NSW Police have issued a detailed statement describing how a strike force investigated the woman’s disputed claims the senior Morrison Government official raped her in Sydney in January 1988.
Police said the highly educated Adelaide woman, 49, first met with Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad officers at Kings Cross Police Station on February 27, 2020, along with a support person.
At the meeting, the accuser told officers she had a number of health problems and that she ‘dissociates’.
She said she ‘wanted to ensure when supplying her statement that was as coherent and as grounded as possible,’ the police statement said.
Disassociation is described by Australian health authorities as ‘a mental process where a person disconnects from their thoughts, memories or sense of identity’.
Christian Porter outed himself as the Cabinet Minister accused at a press conference on Thursday, where he categorically denied raping the woman when he was 17 and she was 16
The woman first attended Kings Cross Police Station in Sydney’s east (above) in February last year and met with officers
In the statement police said officers were assured she had help from professionals, her family and partner and their ‘primary concern’ was ‘victim care and welfare’.
Detectives contacted the woman on at least five occasions over the following three months, the statement said.
‘During the contact had with her, her ongoing welfare was discussed along with a plan for how and when her statement would be taken,’ police said.
‘On 23 June 2020 the woman sent detectives an email indicating she no longer felt able to proceed with reporting the matter, citing medical and personal reasons.
‘The woman very clearly articulated in that email that she did not want to proceed with the complaint.
‘She also thanked investigators in this email. She was very grateful for the time and support the Investigators provided to her.’
The next day, June 24, a strike force detective replied to the email. That was the day the woman took her own life at home in Adelaide. South Australian police informed their NSW counterparts that the woman had died on June 25.
Later, police ‘came into possession of a personal document purportedly made by the woman sometime prior.’
In an unsworn statement circulated among media and political circles, the woman claimed the incident occurred in 1988 after a night of drinking and dancing in Kings Cross.
The woman attended a national debating competition in Sydney with Christian Porter (above)
A visibly shattered Mr Porter last night sensationally outed himself as the Morrison Government minister who had been accused. He did so in order to categorically deny the accusation and insist he will not stand down.
‘It just didn’t happen,’ he repeatedly said. The 50-year-old former public prosecutor confirmed he attended a debating competition at Sydney University with his accuser when he was 17 and she was 16.
However, he denied ever sleeping with the woman.
Several of the woman’s friends have called for an independent investigation into the claims. Police are still separately investigating the woman’s death for the South Australian Coroner.
The new police statement comes amid controversy over officers earlier this week declaring their investigation ‘closed’ due to there being ‘insufficient evidence to proceed.’
Daily Mail Australia contacted a former lawyer for the woman for comment.
For confidential crisis support, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.