Daniel Andrews has been accused of ‘double standards’ by allowing thousands of revellers to pack out a music festival while banning Melbourne’s Anzac Day march.
The Summersalt rock festival on the Mornington Peninsula went ahead on Saturday and Sunday after its Covid Safe plan was approved by the Victorian government.
Every person was required to bring a chair and remain seated – but videos sent to Daily Mail Australia show wild crowds jumping up and down and making no attempt to keep apart.
The Summersalt rock festival (pictured) on the Mornington Peninsula went ahead on Saturday and Sunday after its Covid Safe plan was approved by the Victorian government
Every person was required to bring a chair and remain seated – but videos sent to Daily Mail Australia show wild crowds jumping up and down and making no attempt to keep apart
The hedonistic scenes have enraged the Victorian Opposition who believe that if music festivals are allowed to go ahead then Melbourne’s Anzac Day march to honour Australia’s fallen soldiers should proceed in a Covid-safe way.
Earlier this month RSL Victoria announced the march was cancelled for the second year running after reaching a ‘collective decision’ with the government that it would be too dangerous due to the virus.
Shadow Minister for Health Georgie Crozier blasted Premier Andrews for this apparent inconsistency.
‘Victorians have seen so many inconsistencies and double standards under Daniel Andrews and this is just another example,’ she told Daily Mail Australia.
‘You have to wonder what expert medical advice Daniel Andrews is receiving when there is one rule for certain groups of people and another for others.’
After being sent a video of the rowdy scenes at the festival by Daily Mail Australia, Victorian Minister for Veterans Shaun Leane said he is working on allowing the Anzac Day march to go ahead.
‘We continue to work with RSL Victoria to explore how Anzac Day can be commemorated to the fullest extent permitted by the public health situation, including the possibility of a march,’ he said.
‘I’m hopeful something can be worked out soon.’
Shadow Minister for Health Georgie Crozier blasted Premier Andrews (left) for his apparent inconsistency
Former servicemen march during the Anzac Day parade in Melbourne on April 25, 2018. This year’s march has been cancelled due to Covid-19
Summersalt organisers posted a message on social media thanking the Victorian government for allowing the festival, which was headlined by Melbourne blues band The Teskey Brothers.
The event website asked every attendee to bring a chair, not leave their designated zone and only stand up to purchase food and drink, to use the toilets, or to seek first aid.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the organisers for comment.
The Anzac Day March in Melbourne in 2016. The government is finding a way for it to go ahead this year