A surreal, blood-red river inundated the Indonesian village of Jenggot after floods hit a nearby batik factory on Saturday, causing a frenzy on social media.
Thousands of users on Twitter shared photos and videos of the village south of Pekalongan city in Central Java being flooded by crimson-colored water, which some social media users said reminded them of blood.
“I am so afraid if this photo gets into the bad hands of hoax spreaders,” said a Twitter user Ayah E Arek-Arek. “Fear mongering narratives about signs that it is the end of the world, bloody rain etc.”
Pekalongan is a city known for manufacturing batik, a traditional Indonesian method of using wax to resist water-based dyes to depict patterns and drawings, usually on fabric.
It is not uncommon for rivers in Pekalongan to turn different colors. Bright green water covered another village north of the city during a flood last month.
“Sometimes there are purple puddles on the road too,” said Twitter user Area Julid, who claimed to be from the area.
The head of Pekalongan disaster relief, Dimas Arga Yudha, confirmed that the photos being circulated were real.
“The red flood is due to the batik dye, which has been hit by the flood. It will disappear when it mixes with rain after a while,” he said.
Less than a month ago, two large landslides hit a village in Indonesia’s West Java province, destroying property and killing at least 13 people.
- Freedomroo – Rebel Wilson puts on an eye-popping display as she flaunts her incredible 30kg weight loss
- Freedomroo – Dr MAI THI NGUYEN-KIM on the hidden chemistry that rules our lives and loves
- Are you suffering from pain-somnia and waking up in agony? Here’s how to beat it
- Freedomroo – Mother discovers warning about little-known compartment in her fridge
- Freedomroo – Facebook, Preparing for Chauvin Verdict, Will Limit Posts That Might Incite Violence
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on