The findings should have been forwarded to the department’s legal adviser and the police commissioner at the time, Paul F. Evans, who would determine a punishment, said Daniel Linskey, a former superintendent in chief of the Boston Police, who is now a managing director at Kroll, a security consultancy firm.
Mr. Linskey said he supported Mayor Janey’s decision to make the files public, which he said could help “restore trust and integrity in the system.”
He added that, as far as he knows, police officers are not rallying to Mr. Rose’s defense.
“I don’t think the police union is going to die on the hill for this one,” he said. “There is no rallying cry behind Pat on this because the information to date seems to indicate that there is some substance to the charges.”
Mr. Keefe, Mr. Rose’s lawyer, said his client did not pressure any witness to withdraw the charges.
“He denies anyone was pressured to do anything,” he said.
A police spokesperson referred The New York Times to the mayor’s statement. An official at the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association did not respond to requests for comment.
The Rose case is only one of the thorny police matters that Mayor Janey inherited, including the fact that the department has no permanent commissioner. Though Mr. Walsh appointed one, a veteran officer named Dennis White, he was placed on paid leave after The Globe reported that he had threatened to shoot his wife, also a Boston police officer, and was later ordered to stay away from his family.
Many of the legal structures governing Boston’s police, like overtime rules and disciplinary practices, are outside the direct authority of the mayor, determined in collective bargaining between the city and the unions.
- Prince Harry says his life is ‘like Truman Show’ in the royal family in candid podcast interview
- Freedomroo – Stella Maxwell stuns in a plunging black lace bodysuit as she grabs dinner with pals in LA
- Freedomroo – Some McDonald’s workers will get a raise as part of hiring push | Business and Economy News
- Freedomroo – The T List: Spring Beauty Guide
- Freedomroo – Meghan Markle’s makeup artist says ‘diversity’ at her wedding to Prince Harry ‘changed the world’
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on