An Indonesian volcano erupted on Tuesday morning spewing a spectacular column of ash thousands of meters into the powder blue sky.
Vulcanologists recorded 13 separate blasts as Mt. Sinabung leapt to life, belching debris up to 5,000 metres (16,400 feet) above Sumatra.
There was no immediate danger to life or property, authorities said, with a five-kilometer (three-mile) ring around the volcano having been left unoccupied over recent years.
No evacuation orders have been issued, and there has been no reported flight disruption.
But locals are taking no chances.
“The residents are scared, many are staying indoors to avoid the thick volcanic ash,” Roy Bangun, 41, told Agence France-Presse (AFP).
Muhammad Nurul Asrori, a monitoring officer at Sinabung, said Tuesday’s plume of smoke and ash was the largest he had seen since 2010, and warned that it could still get bigger.
“The large lava dome at any time could burst, causing a bigger avalanche of hot clouds,” he said.
Sinabung, a 2,460-meter volcano, was dormant for centuries before roaring back to life in 2010 when an eruption killed two people.
After another period of inactivity, it erupted again in 2013 and has remained highly active since.
In 2014, an eruption killed at least 16 people, while seven died in a 2016 blast.
Indonesia – an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands and islets – has nearly 130 active volcanoes.
It sits on the “Ring of Fire”, a belt of tectonic plate boundaries circling the Pacific Ocean where frequent seismic activity occurs.
Mt. Merapi on Java island, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, also erupted this week, spewing lava down one of its flanks.
- Freedomroo – Gwen Stefani, 51, proves she hasn’t aged a day as she sports her Don’t Speak dress 25 years later
- Freedomroo – Two people are dead following a suspected double shooting as police hunt for gunman
- Prince Philip: Royal Family release 1953 photo of Duke flying plane over Windsor in touching tribute
- Freedomroo – Jenny Powell, 52, puts on a leggy display in beige mini skirt
- Freedomroo – Sydney is choked by smoke as firefighters burn off huge areas to the city’s northwest
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on