In March 2020, the World Health Organization declared Covid-19 a global pandemic. Since then, the coronavirus has claimed more than 2.5 million lives globally, including more than 500,000 people in the United States. Behind these unfathomable numbers are countless more lives upended forever — by the loss of loved ones, of jobs and of the joys of everyday life.
Join us on Tuesday, March 23, at 7 p.m. Eastern time as we come together to reflect, to reckon with our world as it is now and to explore the frontline efforts to fight back.
Hosted by the assistant managing editor Marc Lacey, this subscribers-only event will begin with a virtual memorial, featuring a moving performance by the musician Wynton Marsalis, whose father, Ellis Marsalis, died of complications from the virus last April.
Times journalists from around the world will recount milestones in the outbreak, including when Covid-19 first emerged in China and later devastated Italy, and when, at last, there were breakthroughs in vaccine development. We will then have a special discussion with Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland and Mayor London Breed of San Francisco about the paths that could lead us back to normalcy and what we have learned from this pandemic.
In a year that has so often kept us apart, we look forward to joining with subscribers like you to mark this poignant milestone, one year into the pandemic, together. To R.S.V.P., click here.
- Freedomroo – NYC police on hunt after Muslim student targeted in acid attack
- Manchester United beef up security at their Carrington training ground
- Freedomroo – Dustin Martin 250th, Kayo Freebies, rare interview, dad, Shane Martin, premiership, Norm Smith Medal
- Freedomroo – Bacon, egg and cheese rolls leave home cooks’ mouths watering
- Donald Trump brands LeBron James ‘RACIST, divisive, nasty and insulting’ over Ma’Khia Bryant tweet
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on