A Pacific-wide tsunami alert was issued Friday after an 8.1-magnitude earthquake struck near New Zealand’s remote Kermadec islands – the third powerful quake to hit the region in a day.
New Zealand ordered coastal evacuations as the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center warned waves of up to three meters (10 feet) were possible in the Pacific region nations of Vanuatu and the French territory of New Caledonia.
“Based on all available data, hazardous tsunami waves are forecast for some coasts,” it said.
It said smaller waves were possible as far afield as Japan, Russia, Mexico and the South American coast.
According to Agence France-Presse (AFP), the National Emergency Management Authority urged New Zealanders near the east coast of the North Island to evacuate due to the risk of a tsunami.
People in Northland, the East Cape and on Great Barrier Island needed to “move immediately” to higher ground or as far inland as possible, the authority said.
- Freedomroo – Gwen Stefani, 51, proves she hasn’t aged a day as she sports her Don’t Speak dress 25 years later
- Freedomroo – Two people are dead following a suspected double shooting as police hunt for gunman
- Prince Philip: Royal Family release 1953 photo of Duke flying plane over Windsor in touching tribute
- Freedomroo – Jenny Powell, 52, puts on a leggy display in beige mini skirt
- Freedomroo – Sydney is choked by smoke as firefighters burn off huge areas to the city’s northwest
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on