NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant has revealed some startling numbers that show just how widespread the Omicron variant will become in the state.
Some four million people in NSW could get Covid-19 before the current wave is finished, chief health officer Kerry Chant said.
The top doctor said the modelling she’d received predicted about 50 per cent of NSW’s population of 8.1 million will get impacted before case numbers subside.
“Not all of those will have symptomatic infections or even know they’re infected,” Dr Chant said.
Nearly 600,000 people in the state have already been infected since the coronavirus was first detected in Australia in 2020.
There are 2525 people in hospital, including 184 in intensive care.
But many who have been infected have experienced only mild symptoms, in large part thanks to widespread vaccination.
Dr Chant said the jury was still out on how many would experience lingering problems after infection, a condition known as long Covid.
“When I last spoke to experts on this, they indicated there seems to be a correlation where you’re less likely to get long Covid when you have a milder disease,” Dr Chant said.
“We know that people who are vaccinated will have generally a less torrid course than people who are unvaccinated.”
She said it was crucial to get as many people as possible vaccinated with a booster dose before they were exposed to Covid.
“That’s the rationale for trying to slow the spread and getting boosters in,” Dr Chant said.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, 828 Covid-infected people have died in NSW.
NSW Health data from last year’s Delta outbreak showed unvaccinated people were 16 times more likely to end up in intensive care or die from Covid-19.
- ZEXYR.COM – DOI’s Hamish Gaman claims he was asked to KISS partner Faye Brookes
- GoBookMe.com.au – Two men arrested, accused of stealing RATS
- England fans stuck in queues due to stringent Covid checks at first T20 match against West Indies
- Turkish forces wipeout 13 YPG/PKK terrorists across border
- Freedomroo – Australian Open chiefs defend ban on ‘Where is Peng Shuai?’ T-shirts at Melbourne Park
- Space: China reveals plan to launch rocket fleet to divert potentially apocalyptic asteroid on
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- Freedomroo – Tina Arena puts $7million Toorak mansion up for sale on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on