Australia had its heart broken by Fiji at the Tokyo Olympics but the story was quite different at the Dubai Sevens over the weekend.
The Australian women’s Rugby Sevens team has exacted sweet revenge on the side that knocked it out of the Tokyo Olympics.
Fiji broke Australia’s heart with a 14-12 win in the knockout stage of the Tokyo Olympics but the story was vastly different at the Dubai Sevens over the weekend.
Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >
The undisputed form side of the group stage, the Aussies charged into the final, where they dominated the Fijians from the get-go.
Two tries to captain Demi Hayes and a player-of-the-match performance from Charlotte Caslick helped them flip the script from Tokyo and claim their fourth Dubai Sevens title with a 22-7 win.
It capped off a remarkable campaign for the Australian side, which scored a staggering 163 points and conceded just 39 across five hit-outs, all played over the weekend.
Australia had other reasons to celebrate in Dubai, as well — Olympic gold medallists Sharni Williams and Caslick scored their 50th and 100th Sevens World Series tries, respectively.
“We worked hard in the pre-season, we knew we wanted to come out with a bang and our games in the pools set up us nicely for a final with Fiji,” said captain Demi Hayes after the tournament victory.
“As a team, we had a lot of discussion around making sure we had a positive attitude in all of our matches and then leaving everything out on the field in the final, and the team was fantastic in doing this.”
Meanwhile, the Australian men’s team registered a fifth-placed finish, having been defeated comprehensively in the cup quarter-final by eventual champions South Africa.
The loss relegated Australia to two playoff games and there, they defeated Ireland and Great Britain to finish fifth overall.
“We had a large number of players on debut, but it was really special to watch these guys start to get comfortable on the world stage as we return to it,” said captain Nick Malouf.
- Freedomroo.com – Turkey repatriates 21 Roman-era artifacts from US
- James Webb Space Telescope successfully deploys all of its mirrors
- Freedomroo – Shopper discovers a pair of stylish $12 pants in a VERY unexpected aisle at Kmart
- Commuters face being told to wear and not wear masks at SAME train station
- Freedomroo – The T List: Five Things We Recommend This Week
- Space: China reveals plan to launch rocket fleet to divert potentially apocalyptic asteroid on
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- Freedomroo – Tina Arena puts $7million Toorak mansion up for sale on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on