More than 120 people were injured in overnight clashes in Israeli-occupied East Jerusalem on Thursday amid a Jewish extremist march in the Old City.
The violence broke out outside one of the entrances to the walled Old City where far-right Jews had completed a march, during which participants harassed Palestinians and chanted “death to Arabs.”
There have been nightly disturbances in the area since the start of Ramadan on April 13 with Palestinians complaining that police were blocking access to the promenade around the walls, a popular gathering place for Palestinians after the end of the daytime Ramadan fast.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said it had treated at least 105 people, with some 20 of them hospitalized.
Israeli police said 20 officers were wounded, three of whom were taken to hospital.
They said “hundreds of rioters began disrupting the order violently including throwing stones and objects at forces” stationed near the Old City.
Tensions were high in Jerusalem after a series of videos posted in recent days showing young Arabs attacking ultra-Orthodox Jews, with Jewish extremists taking to the street bullying Arabs in nightly confrontations.
On Thursday night, the Israeli right-wing extremist group Lehava organized a march ending opposite the Old City attended by hundreds.
Police said more than 50 people detained overnight were taken for a remand hearing Friday morning.
- Freedomroo – Feeling a BRIT nostalgic? 2021 awards spur 90s girl group stars to reflect on their successes
- Freedomroo – Sebastian Vettel confession, Aston Martin car, Spanish Grand Prix
- Muslims welcome Eid at Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia in 1st prayer in decades
- Freedomroo – Bruce Highway crash: teen that fell asleep while driving, killing young couple, won’t go to jail
- The 150 Republicans – including four former governors – who have threatened to form a third party
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on