U.S. health officials will likely say that vaccinations with Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose shot can resume, as early as this weekend.
Two U.S. officials told the Washington Post that the vaccine will likely now carry a warning about rare, but potentially life-threatening blood clots, similar to one used in the EU.
Vaccinations with J&J’s shot were paused last week after nine reports of a rare possible reaction to the vaccine involving blood clots. Six of the reactions were in women aged 18 to 48.
Regulators are not expected to place an age limit on who can receive the vaccine.
No doses made at the plant have been shipped in the U.S. and distribution of the shot is paused amid blood clot concerns
Officials spoke on the on condition of anonymity, because the recommendation is supposed to be made on the basis of a determination to be made by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) vaccine panel.
That group, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), is meeting tomorrow to discuss data on blood clots linked to the vaccine.
Publicly, officials have punted and refused to give Americans an idea of when J&J vaccinations might resume, while the committee deliberates.
‘I don’t want to get ahead of the advisory committee tomorrow’s meeting,’ said CDC director Dr Rochelle Walensky on the Today show Thursday.
The committee, she noted, will review data on additional cases of blood clots linked to the vaccine that may have come in since the initial report.
Officials, including Dr Walensky and those who spoke to the Post, have also refused to disclose how many additional cases there have been, but have hinted that the figure is low.
During a Monday White House Press briefing,