The forced togetherness brought on by the pandemic has caused many relationships to become strained. However, others have found that time in lockdown has strengthened bonds.
After Merissa Gerson’s knee surgery in March, her mother flew from Washington to visit and help out. But before her arrival, Ms. Gerson could hardly bear the thought of being in her mother’s company for an entire week. When the visit was extended from five days to 53 because of a stay-at-home order in New Orleans, neither of them expected the hourslong stretches of time together would change their relationship for the better.
Pandemic or not, Sarah Bishop and Kacey Harris were adamant about getting married. The couple, who had originally planned to celebrate their union this March in Hawaii, adjusted their plans three times before settling on an icy elopement Jan. 6 in the Rocky Mountains. The pair braved the elements in dresses purchased for their canceled spring nuptials and played a quick game of rock-paper-scissors to decide who would say their vows first during a self-uniting ceremony. Their two miniature schnauzers served as witnesses and also signed the marriage license with their paw prints (which is legal in Colorado).
[Like this newsletter? Sign up to receive it in your inbox.]
And there was no shortage of creativity when it came to the proposals our readers shared with us in 2020. Here’s a look back at some of our favorite “Will you marry me?” moments.
The New York Times T Book Club
Join The New York Times T Book Club for a conversation on Edith Wharton’s classic “The Custom of the Country,” about a young Midwestern woman who becomes obsessed with acquiring both clout and wealth through a series of advantageous marriages, no matter the cost.
- NASA shares photos of Lunar Gateway space station to launch for moon in 2024
- Freedomroo – Bay City Rollers singer Les McKeown dies suddenly aged 65 as devastated friends pay tribute
- Ex-Virginia Tech soccer player sues coach for ‘retaliation’ after she didn’t kneel in racism protest
- EU court reverses 2018 judgement on removing PKK from terror list
- Freedomroo – Molly-Mae Hague drops MAJOR hint about marrying Tommy Fury as she shows off ‘wedding hair’
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on