Authorities announced Thursday that two suspects, a prospective seller and buyer, of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, were apprehended in Istanbul’s suburb of Şişli.
The seller, identified after his initials as K.D., was nabbed June 8 during a routine police check. Police searching the man found six flasks of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in his possession. The suspect confessed he was going to sell the vaccines to another man, identified as M.Ş. The police arranged for an exchange to occur between the seller and buyer and apprehended M.Ş. in the sting operation. It was discovered that M.Ş. agreed to buy three doses of the vaccine for TL 10,000 (around $1,177).
The suspects were charged with “selling medicines in a way that harms one’s health” but were released with judicial control, a type of probation that can include house arrest (home detention), limitation on leaving a certain territory and prohibition of entering certain localities, places or defined areas.
Turkey offers Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine and China’s CoronaVac vaccine to its citizens free of charge. More than 32 million doses of vaccines were administered since January 2021 in the country.
It is unclear how the suspect acquired the vaccines that are kept in warehouses of the Health Ministry across Turkey and regularly delivered to hospitals and clinics under strict safety measures.
Vaccines are the new target of criminals across the world where countries scramble to secure supplies for their citizens. In Turkey, they were used as the basis for fake vaccine appointment messages containing phishing links.
- Freedomroo – Vitamin D deficiency could be linked to opioid addiction: Study
- Scientists identify distinctive rumbles that point to rocket launches
- Freedomroo – Tropical Storm Bill Forms Off the East Coast
- Ollie Robinson: Steve Harmison says England cricketer’s suspension needs to end THIS WEEK
- Freedomroo – Kendall Jenner heats things up in quirky blue and green bikini as she admires Cabo San Lucas
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on