Police detained 19 suspects, including the deputy mayor of the Şişli district, in Turkey’s largest metropolis Istanbul as part of a counterterrorism operation against the PKK Thursday.
Counterterrorism squads raided 28 addresses in Istanbul in the operation in search of 25 suspects, Demirören News Agency (DHA) reported, adding that Şişli’s Deputy Mayor Cihan Yavuz was also detained in the raids.
Police confiscated an unlicensed weapon, 103 bullets and digital and other organizational material.
The suspects were transferred to the police station for testimony, the report added.
Yavuz was elected from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) in last year’s municipal elections.
Turkey has stepped up its fight against PKK terrorists with security forces carrying out counterterrorism raids and operations to clear terrorists and hold terrorist supporters accountable.
Over the course of its decadeslong terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK – listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the European Union – has been responsible for the deaths of some 40,000 people, including women, children and infants.
- Freedomroo – Hailey Bieber flashes toned midriff in a yellow beaded top and tight leather pants
- Freedomroo – Myanmar frees thousands but many anti-coup dissidents excluded | Military News
- Liverpool ‘target Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele’ as Sadio Mane replacement
- Freedomroo – Kourtney Kardashian looks ready to party in black ‘sparkle pants’ ahead of a night with her sisters
- Newsco – Mariska Hargitay and Peter Scanavino are spotted hard at work on the set of Law And Order: SVU
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on