After the devastating fire that destroyed the attic of the Notre-Dame de Paris, sending its spire down through the vaults below, the work to shore up the landmark cathedral has finished, finally allowing restoration work to launch, officials said on Saturday.
Soon after the April 2019 blaze, President Emmanuel Macron said the cathedral – which dates back to the 12th century – would be rebuilt and later promised to get it reopened to worshippers by 2024, when France hosts the Olympic Games.
The final phase of efforts to secure its structure included reinforcing the fire-damaged vaults with giant wooden arch-shaped frames, the state agency leading the work said, adding that it was on track to meet Macron’s reopening target date.
The cathedral will be restored to its previous design, including the 96-meter (315-feet) spire designed by architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc in the mid-1800s and for which new timber has been selected.
Restoration work is expected to start during the coming months following a bidding process to select companies. Before that, a cleaning operation for the building’s interior walls and floor will start this month, the agency said in a statement.
The fire at Notre Dame caused shock in France and around the world. Tearful Parisians and stunned tourists gazed in disbelief while the inferno raged at the cathedral, which marks the very center of Paris.
- Daily Covid infections are up 3.6% on last week after seven days of double digit growth
- GoBookMe.com.au – Every claim from Lisa Wilkinson’s memoir takedown of Karl Stefanovic fact-checked
- Australia squeak past South Africa in their World Cup opener to put woeful T20 form behind them
- Freedomroo – The REAL story of why Dustin Martin was spotted with Serena Williams in the Maldives
- Freedomroo – Palestinian NGOs designated ‘terrorists’ call for support | Human Rights News
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on