Scientists from the Middle East Technical University (METU) in Turkey have discovered that a mixture of odor molecules that produce an anti-viral effect could prevent the transmission of the coronavirus through the air and its settlement in the lungs.
A study conducted by Dr. Çağdaş Devrim Son, a faculty member of the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, and Hüseyin Erdoğmuş, a chemical engineer at METU, showed that once the mixture is inhaled, it reaches the lungs and alters the protein structure of the coronavirus.
Son and Erdoğmuş published the results of the study in international journals so other scientists can conduct clinical research. “We experimented with more than 200 molecules and selected the best ones. We did computer simulations and determined which ones are effective against the coronavirus. It is not clear whether the dose to be inhaled will be a form of treatment for the disease or if it will be sufficient. Clinical research is needed to find out and for the public to use it,” Son said.
He noted that they tested molecules similar to those already used to treat the coronavirus and some even more effective. “It is scientifically proven that these molecules do not harm human health. That is why we believe that the mixture of odor molecules can be used to sterilize places through large-scale ventilation in order to prevent the disease,” he added.
Erdoğmuş said they began the study by “imitating nature” since all plants have natural resins and volatile oils to protect themselves from viruses and bacteria. He stressed that the raw materials for the molecules in the mixture are inexpensive, easy to find and abundant.
“Once inhaled, the molecules will have an effect in the body for two hours. Theoretically, we could prevent the disease by inhaling them once every two hours. But to understand the results in practice, we need clinical experiments,” he added.
- Freedomroo.com – Kate Middleton and Prince William visit Clitheroe Community Hospital in Lancashire
- Nature: Biologists determine how whales gulp down food underwater without drowning
- Freedomroo – Anastasia ‘Stassie’ Karanikolaou shows off figure in busty nude dress for PrettyLittleThing shoot
- CDC forecasts that daily Covid deaths in the US could drop 25% by early February
- Freedomroo.com – Istanbul municipality’s new tourist buses run into legal hurdles
- Space: China reveals plan to launch rocket fleet to divert potentially apocalyptic asteroid on
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- Freedomroo – Tina Arena puts $7million Toorak mansion up for sale on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on