Every range hood vacuums up steam, smoke and odors from the kitchen. But when it comes to style, designs vary widely: Some are kitchen-defining statement pieces, while others almost disappear.
“Oftentimes, the inclination is to have some beautiful sculptural element over the cooktop,” said Melissa Baker, who founded the New York-based architecture firm Pulltab with Jon Handley. “But we usually try to hide them instead.”
One of the firm’s favorite approaches is to install a slide-out hood that is mostly concealed in a cabinet above the range, with a retractable shield that extends while you’re cooking. But for homeowners who prefer the look of a professional chef’s kitchen, Pulltab sometimes specifies big stainless-steel models that look as if they were pulled out of a restaurant.
Regardless of your preference, the most important part of owning a range hood is remembering to use it.
“If you don’t have extraction,” Mr. Handley said, “the apartment will still smell like fish for two days.”
Will your hood vent to the outside or recirculate air through a filter? An exterior vent is better, Ms. Baker said, but not always possible, especially in apartments. Many hoods can function either way, but may require a conversion kit.
Does it provide the right light? The light from a hood should be bright enough to illuminate saucepans and have a color temperature similar to that of your under-cabinet lights. “You really don’t want terrible lighting above the range,” Ms. Baker said.
How wide should it be? At least as wide as the range, she said, but for peak performance, some manufacturers recommend choosing one that is at least three inches wider on each side.
Professional-style hood available in a range of colors
From $4,595 at BlueStar: 610-376-7479 or bluestarcooking.com
GE Custom Hood Insert
Range hood internals for custom enclosure
$329 at GE Appliances: 800-430-1757 or geappliances.com
Chimney-style wall-mount hood available in a range of colors
$1,299 at Perigold: 844-248-0909 or perigold.com
Under-cabinet slide-out hood
From $579 at Build with Ferguson: 855-719-0658 or build.com
Faber Cylindra Isola
Cylindrical stainless-steel hood for island installation
$1,699 at AJ Madison: 800-570-3355 or ajmadison.com
For weekly email updates on residential real estate news, sign up here. Follow us on Twitter: @nytrealestate.
- Freedomroo – Huge blue-ringed octopus and crab battle in an underwater showdown in the Mornington Peninsula
- Freedomroo – AFL reporter Tom Browne lists his extensively renovated Melbourne home for sale
- Freedomroo – Nutritionist Rebecca Gawthorne shares her simple recipe for one-tray baked pumpkin soup
- Biden’s proclamation declaring National Day of Prayer omits the word God
- Freedomroo – Many American parents are hesitant to vaccinate their children for Covid-19, a new poll shows.
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on