Turkish security forces have detained eight suspected Daesh terrorists in a counterterrorism operation in the northern province of Samsun.
Police units raided several homes as part of the operation and detained eight out of 11 suspects. They also confiscated digital materials found in the homes, Anadolu Agency (AA) reported. The suspects were identified as Iraqi nationals.
Security forces continue the search for the remaining three suspects.
Turkish security forces have been carrying out extensive operations to nab Daesh terrorists across the country.
In September, Turkish police detained the terrorist group’s top figure in the country, Mahmut Özden, who is considered Daesh’s “Turkey emir” in Adana.
Although the terrorist group has been largely defeated in Iraq and Syria, its presence still poses a threat, as individuals following its ideology encourage others to carry out violence.
European analysts have also warned against Daesh attacks, as isolated plans by individuals not under the watch of intelligence services have become more common.
Turkey recognized Daesh as a terrorist group in 2013. The country has since been attacked numerous times, including 10 suicide bombings, seven bombings and four armed assaults, which have killed 315 people and injured hundreds more.
In response, Turkey launched military and police operations both in and outside the country, capturing top Daesh members in counterterrorism efforts at home and Syria.
Turkish intelligence also played a key role in the death of Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi by detaining and extraditing one of his aides to Iraq, who provided the U.S. authorities with critical information for locating him.
According to Interior Ministry figures, at least 2,000 people were arrested and 7,000 others deported in operations against Daesh in Turkey in the past few years, while around 70,000 people have been denied entry into the country over their suspected links to the terrorist group.
- Freedomroo – US officer died of natural causes after Capitol riot: Coroner | US & Canada News
- Freedomroo – Scott Morrison says Aus climate change goal won’t be achieved in inner-city wine bars
- Latest remedy for eczema – rub bacteria on to your skin!
- Matthew Broderick Misses the Theater Very Much
- Freedomroo – Amelia Gray Hamlin flaunts her famous pout and sultry curves in black as she leaves Pilates class
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on