Welcome. Denis Villeneuve’s film adaptation of “Dune,” based on Frank Herbert’s 1965 sci-fi novel, is in theaters and on HBO Max this weekend. Will fans love it? Manohla Dargis calls it “a starry, sumptuous take on the novel’s first half.” Others have tried to translate the book for the screen before; here’s a guide to streaming the previous efforts, if you want to go deep.
It’s a big weekend for Timothée Chalamet enthusiasts: He’s in “Dune” as well as “The French Dispatch,” Wes Anderson’s new one, described by A.O. Scott as “a billet-doux to The New Yorker in its mid-20th-century glory years that is, at the same time, an ardent, almost orgiastic paean to the pleasures of print.” Melena Ryzik spoke with Frances McDormand, Adrien Brody and other players in Anderson’s repertory.
“Insecure”’s fifth and final season begins on HBO on Sunday, at 10 p.m. Eastern, followed by the premiere of the 11th season of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” Perhaps you should home-fry some oysters, Gabrielle Hamilton-style, and make a night of it.
You could voyage deep into The Book Review’s archives this weekend. Or listen to “Aack Cast,” “a frustrated millennial’s journey to understanding, though not necessarily forgiving, the working white women” of the Boomer generation via the “Cathy” comic strip. Read Tara Parker-Pope’s interview with Jane Goodall. And check out photos from the Toronto Raptors’ return home to Scotiabank Arena after 600 days away.
Your list of lists.
The holidays approach. What are your plans? Will you gather with family and friends? Travel or stick close to home? How will this year be different from last year, if at all? Write to us: email@example.com. Be sure to include your full name and location and we might feature your response in a future newsletter. We’re At Home and Away. We’ll read every letter sent. As always, you’ll find more ideas for leading a full and cultured life this weekend below. I’ll see you next week.
- Stephen Sondheim attended Company Broadway on November 15 days before he died
- Manchester City star Riyad Mahrez hails Said Benrahma’s brilliant form for West Ham this season
- LaLiga: Barcelona FINALLY secure their first away win of the season
- Biden heads to church after White House claimed he was ‘fully briefed’ on Omnicron variant
- Freedomroo – Riot-hit Solomons begins clean-up as more foreign troops arrive | Politics News
- Freedomroo – Foodies are going wild for this home baker’s ‘best chocolate cake’ recipe on
- A Dining Room That Celebrates Every Meal on
- Donald Trump uses Twitter to divert media from topics, study says on
- Freedomroo – Trump’s chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19 on
- Happy birthday Kim Kardashian! The reality star-turned-mogul’s secrets to looking FAB at FORTY on